Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Container Babies, Part II

Due to this...
I ended up, to my total shock and delight, with this...



This gem popped up on my twitter feed this week from PhD in Parenting...


Fisher-Price Infant-To-Toddler Rocker - Blue/GreenIt was not my intent in my original post to convey disapproval of those with babies with bald spots, or even flat spots.  I know people whose babies have bald spots, and flat spots, and one who needed a helmet.  It isn't always because they're sitting in a bouncy seat all day.  No.  And it isn't always an actual issue, at all, if it is just a bald spot.  They might just be restless little sleepers, and rub their heads back and forth in their sleep.

Edushape Animal Activity BarBut it could be an indicator of something, and it could be a sign of an issue.  The term "container babies" wasn't thought up by a babywearing fanatic, or an attachment parent... this is something that neurologists, doctors, and physical therapists are talking about, and it is something that parents should be aware of as well.  We're becoming more aware of the risks of leaving babies in carseats when they're not in the car, and of overusing modern baby gadgets, and that is a good thing.  I like to refer to this as "science/medicine catching up with common sense." ;)

It was my intent to raise awareness, to convey information about something that is a serious issue.  It is true that I feel babywearing is the tool to fix the issue of container babies.  It may not fix baldness, it may not eliminate flat spots, but those are cosmetic.  Misshapen skulls, contorted neck muscles and delayed motor skills are far, far more worrisome.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought my personal experience into the post at all... really, it was just anecdotal evidence, which isn't the same caliber of information at all.  And it seems like that was what most objected to in my post.  Oops.  Well, either way, I'm glad that you all stopped by, and I hope that you'll become regulars.  Feel free to email/tweet/comment at me to let me know when I'm spot on, when I'm totally off, and what you'd like to see here.

No comments: